Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013

January
 
The year started the year off with a trip to the Middle East. I met incredible people, learned some Arabic, taught some English, fell in love with the girls, grew close to my team, roomed with my best friend, checked riding a camel off the bucket list, and most importantly shared the love of Jesus with everyone we met. This trip changed my heart and I would go back in a heartbeat.
 
 
 
Picked up a pattern in Michael's with a picture of a perfect white and tan hat...Thought maybe this project would defy the odds of the inevitable, "Nailed it" success stories. Worked for hours knitting, starting over, and continually repeating the line, "I don't know why I'm doing this...I could just go BUY a hat." Incredibly proud when I finished it and did something I never thought I could.

 

February

The month of February was consumed with days of Step Sing. It is such a fun time to be able to take a break from the normal days of class and paper writing to spend quality time with friends learning and practicing about an 8 minute dancing/singing routine. Although I would not consider myself a dancer or singer, I love these days of Step Sing.

 

March

In March I had my first official day as Miss Whitacre. I observed in schools all semester and got to work with several great teachers. It is so rewarding being in the classroom and I am so excited to one day have my own.


April

Seven days spent at Boogie Board Inn with four great friends from school. It was the perfect way to spend Spring Break - tanning, cooking, laughing, and reading. For the third spring break in a row, I ended up reading by book completely out loud. It seems to be a theme, but always fun to go see the movie after we read the book.


 

May

On May 12, I celebrated my 20th birthday and on the very same day celebrated my mom who has loved me so well. Every few years, my birthday falls on Mother's Day and it always seems to make it a little more special. Thankful for that shared day and a month full of spring time air.

 

June

Six weeks as Sweet Apple Tea is definitely a highlight of 2013. I love my time spent at the Ranch, and Pine Cove has become a ministry that I love being a part of. Over the past two summers, I have acquired a love for Texas, incredible friends, and a heart filled with sweet campers.

 
 

July

I had the privilege of visiting a country that has been on my heart since freshman year. I loved being immersed in their culture and making friendships around the world, sharing truth with them about a Savior who died for them and loves them very much. It was an experience I'll never forget and friendships I'll always treasure.

 
 
After coming back from 10 days eating spicy foods, using chopsticks, speaking Mandarin, teaching English, and experiencing Chinese culture, I was able to spend a week resting and relaxing with my family on the beach. The beach is a place I will always love. From the sand in between your toes, to the sun shining down and the waves crashing in, I love basking in one of God's incredible creations. Time spent on the beach is sometimes where I grow and reflect the most. The peacefulness just can't be beaten and I love the memories I have with my family from this summer on the beach.
 
 

August

After my senior year, I never thought Audrey and I would have another first day of school together again. But this summer, we were able to get yet another classic "first day of school picture" as she started her sophomore year and I headed back to second grade to spend the day teaching with my favorite teacher. Mrs. Passafiume was my third grade teacher and will always have a special place in my heart. She sealed the deal for my desire to be a teacher and I loved being able to spend the first day of a new school year with her.

 
 

September

Starting off junior year, I made one of my favorite memories at Samford. I was able to serve as a Rho Gamma, where I disaffiliated myself from Chi Omega, and walked through the Recruitment process with twenty sweet girls. My freshman year was greatly impacted by Lauren Barry, who was a Rho Gam and helped me through a weekend that can be very emotionally draining. I loved giving up my letters to help these sweet girls find theirs. And of course I loved revealing my ΧΩ letters and reuniting with my best friend on Bid Day.

 
 

October

October is one of my favorite months of the year. Fall is in full swing, and for the Whitacre family, that means one of my favorite fall traditions. Jackson's Orchard in Bowling Green, Kentucky has been a place I've been going since before I could remember. With hot apple cider, caramel apples, hide-and-seek in the corn maze, and picking out the perfect pumpkin, it has become a memory and tradition I will always love.

 
In October, we also got to spend a day celebrating my cousin at his fall wedding in Tennessee. It was a fun adventure and loved being able to get dressed up and spend some time with family.

November

At the beginning of November, we packed our bags and headed to Florida as we celebrated our other cousin's wedding. An outside, quaint, and down-to-earth ceremony and celebration that we loved being a part of. And I must say that the photo booth was a big hit. We even got a few hours on the beach the next day as we said goodbye to the warm weather and headed back home for a few months of scarves, hats, and sweaters.

December

On December 21st, my roommate and one of my best friends became the future Mrs. Sullivan. I loved celebrating this special day in Dothan, Alabama and am so excited to be a part of this fun season with Caroline.

 
And of course one of my favorite seasons and the most wonderful time of the year....Christmas. In my world, Christmas breaks would never end and Christmas music would never get old, snow would always make the perfect White Christmas, and our Savior's birth would never be taken for granted. Wish this time of year could last forever...





365 days filled with sweet blessings, unforgettable memories, world adventures, sharing God's love, resting in His grace, learning, laughing, and loving. From the people that I met on the other side of the world or friends that live next door, I have been encouraged by the joy that I see, the love that abounds, and the friendships that deepen, and God's grace that is so graciously extended. He has taught me to enjoy each and every path that he takes me on. And through the good and the bad days, the days filled with laughter and the days filled with tears, the days full of rest and days occupied with busyness, I am humbled and filled with joy knowing He is guiding my footsteps each and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment