Saturday, September 7, 2013

Labor Day in Dothan

A three-day weekend turned into one of the most memorable weekends of college.

Spontaneity is something I couldn't live without. Decisions and adventures that happen spontaneously make things so much more fun. A lazy Sunday afternoon of napping and Friday Night Lights led to a spontaneous, "Let's go to Dothan!!!!" With the three of us on board, we grabbed a few things and were on the road before we even realized what was happening.

Dothan is a hometown that I have heard about for the past two years - a small southern town that I have always wanted to experience. With Kyle driving and Caroline and me being the DJ and photographer, we took in the sights and surroundings of southern Alabama.

When we arrived at Caroline's house, I immediately felt at home. Why is it that in middle school, one of the first things you do when you become friends with someone is go over to their house, but in college, you may never go to their house but feel like you're best friends. I have always thought this was so fascinating - probably because your home doesn't define where you are in life at that point, but it lets you have a little more insight into their life and where their roots are placed.

 
Caroline's sister had just gotten a little German Shepherd puppy named Lucy. We played and played with the little ball of energy and wore her out. She was six weeks old and the cutest little thing.
 
 

We took a walk down her street - a street that said so much about her and her life. She had lived her entire life there and had family all around. We visited her grandma who lived next door across the pecan orchard. We picked pears and did some exploring. I truly felt like I was living the small southern Mayberry days.

 

It was such a relaxing day, filled with rain and hot tea while visiting on her back porch. And of course boiled peanuts for a snack. Her family made me feel right at home. I could have stayed forever.

I truly treasure this friendship and have grown so fond of this little town of Dothan.

No comments:

Post a Comment